Friday 4 May 2012

My first two days

Hey guys, it's 9.54 on Saturday the 5th of may and I'm sat in the room eating my breakfast after a busy second day at work....! I did blog on Thursday but for some reason it hasn't come up, but I can see it when I log into it. It's called my arrival! Very sorry about that, I hope you all can read this! Anyway, I'm still very tired only slept an hour and half last night, my body clock is all over the place! I've seen a lot since I've been here, I like it but it's a very different way of doing this to what I'm use too! This morning I got up at 2.50 and left for work at 3.15 to start at 3.30! When we got there all the bridles and head collars where outside every stable waiting for us. We all muck out ( the full time people, the riders don't start in till 4am.) We start at stable one ( which is nelly, which is BLACK CAVIAR) and work our way through till stable 34 but there are another 12 but they are on sand and the lads muck them out when the horses are out! We put the bridle on the horse and wrap the reins around their necks and through the throat lash and pop the head collar on and tigh them up at the back of their box where they will stay intill they get tacked up and get taken out for the riders to work them on the track! Each horse has a stable name plus their racing name, they all have their own bridle and head collar, they've all got their names out side their boxes with their brand number ( it's a mark on their shoulder so we all know which horse is which). Also on the board it's got how much feed they have. The horses go out for a gallop then some go for a swim but all horses go in the sand pit for a roll before all horses have a full body wash down with warm water unless it's very cold. After being washed they get vitamins though a syringe ( I will find out more about that when mr Moody is back) then they get scraped off, rug on and then one of the stable hand takes them for a walk. Mr moody doesn't believe in walkers ( when he gets back from hong kong I'll ask him why.) After their walk they go in their box and have their breakdfast and that them done till 2pm. They all have their hay around 8am! Once they've all been ridden they get dressed ( we call it groomed in England) they get their feet Picked out before leaving the box with a head collar on they are brought over to the tigh up area where they have a chain each side and they will stand there for you to dress them. Brush body, legs mane and tail everyday and oil their feet ( unless they are racing or they are on the farrier list!) then they go back to their stable and get rugged up. It depends on the temperature what rugs but they've all got bibs on to avoid the rugs rubbing their chest!! They only get feed twice a day and Hayed once! They have 99 horses in training in caulfield and they also have few in Sydney and few in brisbourne! I work in the main yard, there's 46 horses in training there. Afternoon stables start from 2-4. We go in and every horse goes for a swim, before leaving the stable they get their feet picked out, most of them go twice around the pool! Then they get scrapped off and put a woollen rug on and go for a walk by hand. Then they get put in their box and have their dinner. Once that's done we all start rugging them up and checking everything is done and we go home at 4! Theres one lad that feeds, but I've not been around with him yet. Tony is mr Moody's right hand man and then next in line would be Tom, I've spent lot of time with him, watching, following, asking questions and helping him. The first evening I went to work I swam 3 horses but Tom was following me just incase. I'd never swam a horse before. I was a little nervous at first but after few times I was ok. The second evening I swam 6 horses and 3 by myself. Horses come and go all the time and changing around from yard to yard. Down the way there is few barn with their horses in and it's run the same way as the main yard but im not down there but I've been and had look around. We had a horse finish third yesterday and we've got 13 running today but 6 from the main yard! I live with two ladies and one girl Kirsten , I work with her, but it's her last day today. I feel sad to have to say bye to her after just getting to know her. She's been a great help, took me shopping for food and to get a new phone. She took me to the city yesterday on the train because I needed welingtons as I can't stand wet feet. I will be lost with out her. Highlight of the month was to see black caviar swimming,rolling in the sand watching her get washed off and watching her groom dress her and look after her well. Shes a very special mare! Ive been so so lucky to be able to come out here and be a member of their team. Thank you to you all! Will chat soon

No comments:

Post a Comment