Monday 7 May 2012

Meeting Mr Moody and my first day at the trials

Hey peeps! Another 3.30am start at the stables and I put all the bridles out in front of the doors! Then I went and mucked out, as I was going from one stable to the next I bumped into Mr Moody! I said good morning and introduced myself to him. Then off he went, very busy time for him at this time of the morning! Three jockeys were in today as its a Tuesday and it's a gallop day! Black caviar was working first and luke was on her, then she went down the beach just to stand in the sea. At 6.45 I went over to the tower to where Peter was, It was able to see what the trial day is all about! Peter came up to me and said thank you for the book I gave him. I brought a book of old stables in Newmarket for him to say thank you for having me for the three months. He said he had a quick look at it this morning at 1am. He came back from hong kong at 10pm last night and was in the office till 1am and then had hour and half sleep. He then explained what the trial run was. It happens every Tuesday and today he had about 14 horses in the trials. There wwere 7 trials in total. They go in the stalls and then they race for three furlongs agains other horses from other yards. There not always 3 furlongs. The jockeys had silks on for us to knows who's who. Peter and his racing manager will watch closely and time all the horses and record them so they can decide if they are good enought and when they are ready to run. The work riders trot the horses around the sand to warm the horses up for the jocks to jump on them to go and 'race'. Peter told me to follow him and talk to the jockeys and owners. The tower was full of trainers jocks and owners. It was a good atmosphere! Peter was the joker of the pack. He soon laughed at me and joked around which was good! He introduced me Linda, Luke and Jason they are his jockeys. I was there from 6-45 till 9 am with mr moody, I had time to ask him a few things. One question I asked was ' why don't you use/like walkers?' he told me ....what are legs for, people can walk them. He also said he uses the pool, he likes the pool and it works well for him. That's answer did make me laugh. He's a kind, happy and a pleasant man as far as I can see. There was one horse he was very disappointed with and told me he will be out of training now. No point waiting time with something that's going to run like that. That's how professional he is, he knows his horses and knows his job. He knows when he sees a good one. The trial day is a good thing as it gives everyone an idea what theyv got. But also he told one jock to give it a good squeeze and give it a slap to see how good it is but then to the other one he said ' this educational run, don't be hard on her" I really enjoyd my morning with him. I'm now sat in the garden in the sun with my friends! Lovely day today:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment