Thursday 10 May 2012

11/5/2012

Hey guys, it's 10-45 and I'm at home chilling. Had my breakfast and now I'm going to relax till 1-45 till I need to leave for evening stables! This morning I started at 3.20 and put some bridles and head collars outside the doors. Then I mucked out three stables and took their water buckets out and their feed bowl. The feed man goes around at 3.45 and feeds the horses but leaves the feed outside so when they've done their work and they go back in their stables they person putting them in can also give them their breakfast! The water buckets get filled once the mucking out is done. And then again at 8.30 they get topped up before we go home for breakfast! They all have one big bucket of water each. I rode three this morning, the first horse I tacked up myself, they have a non slip, towel and a big blue and white pad, saddle and then they have a girth and an over girth just like we'd have if they were racing. I went out with another girl, we saw Mr Moody up the tower and he told us what to do. 2 1/2 A sand...which means, trot half way round and canter half and we do that twice, on the A sand gallop, that's what it's called. Then to cool off we went on the sand for a trot. We brought them back and took them for a swim, two laps and took them for a roll and wash off. Second horse I had was doing easy work, half trot and half canter but on a different sand gallop. They also finished by going on the cool down trotting area. My third horse was a mare that "tighs up" which means he's muscles get tight and very sore. Because this happens the mare had to swim two laps before I rode her just to warm her up before galloping. I took her for a trot, half way around and then a steady canter the other half. Same thing again after each horse has worked they go on the trotting sand to cool down! When I took her back she went for a swim but only one lap. I had a fourth horse today in the rain....! Not happy as I didn't have my waterproofs on!! Soon after I finished riding I changed my gear and walked up to the tower to see Mr Moody. He was watching a few horses going through the stalls. They do this a lot, just top make sure they know how and what they are doing. Once the gates open they fly out and work up till the line. I think it was 6 furlongs long today! We went to see the jockeys to see what they thought. Very intresting. Peter and i got talking about horses with sore shins, they would normally throw them out in the field for a few weeks/months depending on how bad they were and how much work they'd done. They had one horse leave yesterday to go to a different yard because his leg was very hot and sore but they did scan it, but found nothing. He's gone up to use a water walker. The water would come up to their knees maybe above and they walk abound in it. It great they say, keeps a certain level of fitness without putting too much pressure and strain on their legs. We both walked back together and went to yard a and b just to see everyone and check few things.. Everything was ok. I dressed 7 horses this morning, and made sure their legs were ok, no heat, cuts ect. They all have bibs to wear under their rugs, then theyv got a thin sheet and then theyv got their heavy rugs. They don't have belly straps on their rugs only leg straps ! Today they all had their heavy rugs on during the day. While the horses get dressed they guys go around and skips them out and gives thm their hay while they are out in the stalls/tigh ups! Last job after the yard is finished is to go around all the horses to put they mud on their legs. From their knees down. I did ask how much a bucked was but tony didn't know. They would go through a lot in a week! 99 horses having it everyday!!! Then a lovely walk back in the sun. Off out tonight to the city. Hope the rain stays away!

No comments:

Post a Comment